Power Up Detroit With Protein
Food drives are a great way to get food to families in need, but the nurses at Henry Ford Hospital have taken it to a new level by adding a little friendly competition to the mix.
Started in 2015, the nurses’ annual Power Up With Protein drive engages nursing department for two weeks in an internal competition where participants rack up points through fun and engaging events. Whoever accumulates the most points are crowned the Protein Champions. Their collective efforts have helped stock Gleaners’ shelves with peanut butter, tuna, protein drinks, and other protein-related items for food-insecure families.
From Feb. 23-March 2, the nurses helped collect more than 4,000 pounds of food and $1,500 in donations. In total, they raised 9,426 meals for our hungry neighbors!
As part of their annual campaign, they held a Peanut Butter Sandwich Showdown that pitted cooks against each other in an Iron Chef-style contest. This year’s winner was registered nurse Cassie Pressel, who emerged victorious with her sandwich on challah bread, dipped in egg and cinnamon, grilled like French toast, spread with peanut butter and raspberry preserves, grilled again, and then finally topped with Nutella glaze.
The nurses continued the friendly competition with Putting for Peanut Butter in which participants could donate peanut butter for a chance to earn an extra 20 points for a hole-in-one in a golf contest.
The recipients of Henry Ford’s protein drive are:
- Crossroads of Michigan, which distributes over 280,000 pounds of food through their pantry and serves over 33,000 meals a year in their soup kitchen.
- Grace Temple Church of God in Christ, a food pantry distributing emergency food.
- Metropolitan United Methodist, a food pantry distributing emergency food.
- New Bethel Baptist Church, Samaritan Ministry, which distributes emergency food to 450 families and individuals weekly.
- Patrick Senior Center, a soup kitchen serving meals for seniors seven days a week.
Food drives help provide our partner agencies with a variety of greatly need food items that go directly on their shelves to feed neighbors in need. Every 4 pounds of donated food can feed someone for a day. Thank you to Henry Ford Health System for all you do to help our hungry neighbors!