In southeast Michigan, 1 in 6 people struggle with hunger. They live in our communities; they are our neighbors, our co-workers, and our friends, yet their struggles can go unheard.
We all can play a role in helping solve hunger, whether it’s helping to raise awareness or donating.
Here are a few ways you can get involved!
ON SOCIAL MEDIA
- WATCH AND SHARE A VIDEO: This short video, developed by Feeding America, explains the cycle of food insecurity and health, and how we can each be part of the solution.
- RAISE AWARENESS ON SOCIAL MEDIA: What can’t you do on an empty stomach? Write it on a paper plate, take a selfie, and post to your social media channels with #HungerActionMonth. Don’t forget to use the hashtag #HungerActionMonth and tag @Gleaners
- SHARE OUR SOCIAL MEDIA POSTS Help us spread the word on how to help solve hunger in southeast Michigan.
- ATTEND THE SLOW ROLL/GLEANERS EVENT: Wear orange and join 3000+ riders as we take a 10-12-mile group bicycle ride starting at Gleaners. A $10 donation to participate is suggested.
- HOST FOOD OR FUND DRIVE: You provide the location and the imagination. Gleaners will supply everything else you need to help feed our hungry neighbors.
- VOLUNTEER: Learn about opportunities to participate at one of our five locations, at a local garden, or at an upcoming event.
MAKE A GIFT
- DONATE: During our Mow Down Hunger Campaign, all gifts made between September 13 - October 11 will be matched dollar-for-dollar by Weingartz - up to 1 million meals! Every $1 = 6 meals.
Simply doing one of the actions above can make a tangible contribution to helping solve hunger in southeast Michigan.