Interested in working at Gleaners? The following positions are currently available:
Chief Financial Officer
Posting Date: 10/3/2014
The chief financial officer (CFO) is a key leader of the food bank responsible for maintaining positive morale, representing the food bank with energy and enthusiasm, and ensuring Gleaners forward momentum in reaching substantial, community-driven goals. The CFO must have a clear understanding of the role of nonprofit organizations in society and the importance of maintaining the public trust, protecting assets, serving the greater good, and creating/maintaining sustainable systems for supporting food insecure individuals and households in Southeast Michigan. Gleaners CFO will:
A. Be an effective organizational leader and a key member of senior management;
B. Be an effective and proactive leader of the finance, accounting, and information systems functions; and
C. Bring professional qualities to their role and to the food bank.
The CFO will report to and work closely with the President and will have partnerships with the senior leadership and the board of directors to develop and implement strategies across the organization. The CFO must be able to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in an accountability driven and deadline-oriented workplace.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop plans, budgets, forecasts and financial statements to guide management decisions and improve financial results.
- Accomplish organization’s strategic financial objectives by developing, monitoring and evaluating plans and results; enforcing controls.
- Track, measure, evaluate and forecast financial results to assure that the organization has sufficient funds and liquidity to operate; identify needs and trends; analyze capital needs and expenditures; and negotiate credit with banks.
- Protect assets by establishing credit policies; developing and managing credit procedures; establishing, and enforcing internal controls.
- Lead the annual financial statement audit as well as other audits should they arise. Assure that financial reporting and accounting adhere to new or changed standards.
- Comply with regulatory requirements by approving and filing statements and reports; filing returns, and overseeing tax; makes sure that tax regulations are adhered to and systems are in place to assure compliance.
- Oversee accounts receivable and payable systems.
- Manage financial planning by organizing the planning process; analyzing critical information; updating projections; recommending financial actions; monitoring outcomes.
- Review, help manage, and track organization’s contracts, leases and other agreements with financial and budget implications.
- Prepare reports that summarize and forecast company business activity and financial position in areas of income, expenses, and cash flow based on past, present and expected operations and provide the President,
- Gleaners leadership, the board, and the finance committee with timely and accurate reviews of financial position and progress as related to the approved budget.
- Create and present materials for the board, finance committee, and audit committee including performance, filings, and issues.
- Represent the organization to financial partners, including financial institutions, investors, foundation executives, auditors, public officials, etc.
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans and drive productivity improvements throughout the food bank.
- Lead the annual effort to complete form 990.
- Have a working knowledge of food bank operations nationally and incorporate best practices into Gleaners practices.
- Provide information management support by approving hardware and software concepts and technology; directing information support services.
- Provide framework for supporting benchmarking, establishing key performance indicators and working baselines, and tracking progress against a structured accountability matrix.
- Provide insight into best operating practices for social service and/or basic needs nonprofit organizations and effectively shares those insights with relevant stakeholders.
- Demonstrate and support the Gleaners mission, vision and values throughout all professional responsibilities and activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Further information can be found in the full job description, here.
Resumes should be sent to email@example.com.
Stay updated with Gleaners’ news.
Sign up to receive our newsletter.
Sign up to receive the Gleaners Harvest magazine!
Sign up to find out what's new at Gleaners and we'll mail you three issues a year.
Become a Facebook fan and follow us on Twitter!