2023 Children’s Hospital Cereal Drive
June 2 - June 30
- This event has passed.
BECAUSE NOW MORE THAN EVER KIDS NEED BREAKFAST
For the past 13 years the Children’s Hospital of Michigan Professional Nurse Council at the Detroit Medical Center (DMC) has partnered with Gleaners Community Food Bank of Southeastern Michigan to lead a community effort to provide children with a consistent daily meal over summer recess.
Now more than ever, kids in Southeast Michigan need access to healthy breakfast options throughout the summer. Over the last 13 years, together, we have raised over 12.2 million servings of cereal. This year, we are back in person! We’ll be filling trucks with cereal and taking donations through our Virtual Cereal Drive between June 2nd – 9th to help children eat a healthy breakfast this summer. At the Children’s Hospital of Michigan we see firsthand the impact food insecurity has on children’s health. The hospital does not just treat sick or injured children; we work to keep the children and families in our community healthy, and your support is appreciated now more than ever.
Community groups that have been collecting donations for the Cereal Drive can drop off their donations during any of these collection events. Please join us!
- Friday, June 2, 11am: Kick-off event at Children’s Hospital of Michigan; pull up to circle drive in front of the hospital, 3901 Beaubien St. in Detroit.
- Saturday, June 3, 8am – 12pm: Collection event at Southgate Kroger, 16705 Fort St in Southgate
- Thursday, June 8, 6am – 12pm: Fill-the-Bus event at Royal Oak Kroger, 2200 Twelve Mile Rd. in Royal Oak
- Help us fill a school bus with cereal! This is the largest event of the week. Jay Towers with 100.3 WNIC will be broadcasting live, and mascots from Kellogg’s, Kroger, and the United Dairy Industry of Michigan will be on site. Community groups collecting cereal are encouraged to stop by throughout the morning and bring their donations to stuff the bus.
- Friday, June 9, 11am: Wrap-up Celebration event at Children’s Hospital. Pull up to circle drive in front of the hospital, 3901 Beaubien St. in Detroit.
You can’t have cereal without milk! Milk remains one of the most sought after product at Gleaner’s distributions to date. In fiscal year 2022, Gleaner’s distributed 673,000 fluid gallons of milk at local distribution sites. Gleaners continues to work closely with our partner, United Dairy Industry of Michigan (UDIM), to help meet the need in the community. Funds raised through this donation page will be used to purchase milk, and Michigan’s dairy farmers will MATCH each donation dollar-for-dollar, up to 32,000 servings of milk during the month of June – National Dairy Month!